Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Snow, Ice, and Power Outage - February 12, 2008


Yesterday afternoon around 1:30 it started snowing. The forecast said it would start at 2pm, so that's pretty close. We were at Hannah's gymnastics, and I could see the snow coming down. We left just after 2:00, and the side roads were already getting a bit slick. I called Pete at work to see if the university was going to cancel night classes since he was supposed to be teaching one. Sure enough, they closed the univ at 4pm. It was predicted that we would get 2-3 inches of snow followed by a nice layer of ice. Once again, they were right. Around 3pm it started snowing in golf ball sized clumps! I'm not sure I've ever seen such fat flakes before. By the time Pete got home at 3:45 it had already started sleeting.



The ice continued all night long, and everything is covered in about 1/4 inch of ice. I prayed our power would stay on since power lines covered in ice like to snap. We lost power at 10am as I was getting in the shower. Thankfully, it was only off for about 30 min. In that time our house lost 2 degrees of heat! I'm glad we didn't have to deal with it longer than that (and hope it stays on!!!!). Now, I'll be able to fix WARM food for lunch :)



Here's the view from our front porch. We didn't get tons of snow, but the ice is a killer (nothing compared to an Oklahoma ice storm though!!). The schools were cancelled for today, which is no surprise since they let out early last week for a storm that never got here. Even the univ is closed until noon. Pete doesn't teach on Tuesdays, so he wasn't venturing out anyway. He's not a fan of driving on the ice, and I don't blame him!

0 comments: