Friday, April 25, 2008

Fender No-Bender - September 18, 2006

I went to pick up Hannah from school today and it was raining. The school has the parents line their cars up, and the children are brought out to the car when their parent reaches the front on the line. The whole thing is quite orderly and works nicely. I saw Hannah come out of the building, so I got out of the car with my umbrella so I could get her into her carseat. I was just about to walk around the back of my car when I decided to wait for the minivan behind me to come to a complete stop. Well, the driver jumped out of her van BEFORE IT STOPPED MOVING! Therefore, the minivan bumped into my car. I was kind of in shock because I typically apply the break, put the car in 'park', and put on the emergency break before hopping out of the car. She was going less than 5 mph, so I wasn't too concerned, except for the fact that Elijah was in the car. He seemed okay, and wasn't crying, though he was a bit stunned by the jolt.
The woman who hit me was nearly hysterical, mostly because my baby was in the car. Her English wasn't great, so that wasn't terribly helpful either. I told her that everything seemed to be okay, and she gave me her name and phone number.
The teacher who was walking Hannah to the car saw it happen, and her eyes got WIDE. I think she was afraid there might be a big scene.
I was a little shaken, but mostly I just couldn't get over the fact that she jumped out of her car while it was still moving!!!!!! Tomorrow maybe I'll show up later so I can be at the END of the line :) Oh, and I didn't see any damage to either car. Thank goodness for bumpers!

0 comments: