Sunday, September 21, 2008

Arts and Crafts

We took a trip to Michael's yesterday... and as you might imagine, we came home with stuff to make. Hannah said, "I wish I owned this WHOLE store!" She is in love with all things artsy and craftsy.

We bought a learn to cross stitch kit (ages 8+) for each kid and a Knifty Knitter (or is it Nifty Knitter, I'm not sure). I figured Hannah could do the cross stitch pretty well even though she's not quite 6. Elijah, well I didn't think he could follow the pattern, but I figured he could make stitches.

Elijah really did enjoy stitching, and he sat for long periods of time to do so! I did have to "rescue" his work every 5-10 minutes, but I still think he did a fabulous job for a 3 year old.


Hannah really enjoyed it as well, and spent the whole day learning to say "embroidery".




Here's Hannah's finished product. You'll notice that she never got the hang of crossing the stitches, but her backstitching to outline the dolphin is pretty amazing. Next time I'm going to get the kind on plastic canvas (needle point, not cross stitch) and I think she'll do really well.


This morning Hannah insisted on learning how to do the Knifty Knitter. She still needs to be rescued occassionally when the yarn gets wound around the loom, but she's pretty good at it. She knit about two inches this morning before getting tired of it.

I finally got around to one of my two year old (maybe 3 years!) projects. I'm making legwarmers for Hannah. I finished one, lol, and I need to get started on the second one before she outgrows them :) I think I prefer projects that can be compleated in a couple of evenings... though once I buckled down and started knitting for more than five minutes at a time the legwarmer happend much faster! I think it was probably only 4-5 hours of knitting total.

2 comments:

Britta said...

Good for you! I have crocheted before and knitted, and I have a hard time sticking with them, though I enjoy crocheting more. I think I prefer sewing, things go faster.

I am a beginner at them all so sometimes it takes many mistakes to get it right.

Hannah did a great job with that dolphin!

Unknown said...

Wow! So cool! It looks like lots of fun! And the kids look like they are loving it! Hope you are doing well and enjoying a lovely day today!