Saturday, January 2, 2021

Pandemic Christmas Break Week 42

Pandemic Christmas Break

 

Week 42

 

Day 286 - Sunday, December 27, 2020

 

Today is Bailey’s 21st birthday.  She was born just a few days before the year 2000, a month earlier than she was supposed to arrive.

 

We slept pretty late again, and today was my mid-trip laundry day.  During the first load, a pair of Leah’s overalls had one of its buckles break in the washer.  I knew that my mom could repair them if we went and got new hardware.  So, the girls and I headed off to Joann’s.  

 

After we found the overall buckles, Leah shopped for some beading supplies.  I signed up for a Joann’s account and got a 50% off coupon.  Leah found a set of beads that we used the coupon for, and the buckles were already half off.

 

Since Target was right next door, we stopped there.  Leah wanted to spend her gift card of some miniatures (I don’t know what they are called).  The toy section of Target was practically bare.  It was impressive.  

 

After we got back, I realized that we didn’t get Bailey’s card while we were out, so we went to the nearby Target.  Hannah found a few things, Leah found two sets of miniatures, and I got Bailey a card. 

 

We sat around the table while Drew worked on his gaming miniatures, and Leah did a little beading.

 

For Bailey’s birthday dinner we had jambalaya and jalapeño hush puppies that Mom made.  Dulcey brought her amazing chocolate cake.  

 

After dinner, I requested that we watch The Best Christmas Pageant Ever since I realized that we hadn’t watched any Christmas movies since we got here.  

 

Day 287 – Monday, December 28, 2020

 

We did very little during the day, and it was nice and relaxing.  After lunch, Hannah and I made a grocery run to pick up some lime-flavored Tostitos so we could finish off the cranberry salsa.  On the back, I stopped for gas so I don’t have to do that Wednesday morning when we leave.

 

Drew took Elijah on a trek across OKC to find a multi-player deck of Star Realms.  

 

Bailey and Drew had dinner with us.  Mom made stuffing, mashed potatoes, and rolls to go with the rest of the leftover turkey dinner.  It was amazing, of course.

 

After dinner, Drew, Hannah, Elijah, and I played a 4-player game of Star Realms with two teams.  Hannah and I won.  We had some pie, and then watched Office Space because Elijah wanted to see it.  He thought it was quite funny.  

 

Day 288 – Tuesday, December 29, 2020

 

I made sure that Elijah got up at 8am because he had been complaining about sleeping too much. 

 

After breakfast, Elijah and I played a couple of rounds of Star Realms.  I think we each won a game.  

 

Mom made grilled cheese sandwiches and potato soup for lunch, very yummy.

 

Elijah, Drew, and I played a 3-player game of Star Realms, and somehow, I won, though I was never ahead once.

 

Mom gave Hannah and I the books of Dad’s that we wanted.  She gave Leah a duck that he’d carved and had planned on painting (it’s a cute duck).  Elijah got his Gibson guitar.  

 

Drew bought us Pakistani food from Sheesh Mahal which was amazing.  We finished the evening with a viewing of Fried Green Tomatoes. 

 

Tomorrow, we get up early, pack the car, and drive home.  

 

Day 289 – Wednesday, December 30, 2020

 

We left OKC at 6am as planned.  It was raining lightly when we left.  We took an alternate route to avoid the massive road construction on I-44 between my mom’s house and the turnpike.  It added about 10 minutes to the trip, but it was worth not fearing for my life.

 

Around Joplin, the rain turned to snow, and that slowed our progress tremendously.   In Joplin we stopped for gas, bathrooms, and breakfast snacks.

 

In Rolla, we stopped for gas, lunch, and bathrooms.  That’s it, TWO stops…

 

The cats were happy to see us, and I’m glad to be home.  I’m about halfway unpacked.  We got Chick-Fil-A for dinner, yum!

 

Day 290 – Thursday, December 31, 2020

 

New Year’s Eve 2020, has finally arrived.

 

I got up early, at Oliver’s insistence, and did some menu planning and grocery list making.  I made it to Walmart around 8:30. I bought way too many snacks for our “party”.

 

Elijah and I got haircuts, and we were a few minutes late because I stopped at Meijer to pick up Hannah’s Rx, and there were six cars in front of me in the drive through.  There was a lot more traffic at 2pm than I expected.  

 

Hannah and Leah dipped strawberries in chocolate and made a charcuterie board for New Year’s Eve snacks.  

 

Half of the Harpers came over for about 30 minutes to chat and eat a few snacks.  

 

After they got back home, we played several rounds of JackBox games via Twitch and Zoom.  That was a lot of fun.  

 

In about 30 minutes, we can toast the New Year, and proclaim, “I Survived 2020”!  Here’s to better and brighter in 2021.

 

Day 291 – Friday, January 1, 2021

 

Happy New Year 2021!!!

 

Today is definitely a “what day of the week is it?” kind of day.  I slept until 8:45 which is really late for me, lol.  My goal for the day was to get the Christmas tree put away.

 

After breakfast and a shower, I started taking the ornaments off the tree.  That took way longer than I expected, probably two hours.  Each ornament goes back into its box, and I put new (good!) ornament hooks on the first 40 I took down.  I’ll have to remember to order more hooks next year…. Everything is packed up and stored in the garage.

 

The girls had been clamoring for me to buy a pomegranate.  I looked when we were in OKC, but I never saw any.  Walmart had them here, so I got one.  Elijah and Leah were a little grossed out by the “alien seed pod”.  Hannah and Elijah loved it, Leah didn’t like the seeds.  

 

I made black-eyed peas and collard greens in the InstantPot.  I knew the kids would be unimpressed, so I ordered the normal Friday night pizza as well.  I asked that each ate one little bean (I don’t think Leah did).  I ate two bowls over cornbread.  I thought it was pretty good, especially with a little Siracha.  I have lunch made for the next four days, lol.

 

I decided to attempt a little academic self-study to see if I have the desire/discipline/motivation to pursue another degree.  Time will tell.

 

Day 292 – Saturday, January 2, 2021

 

Oliver behaved all night, so I was able to get a good night’s sleep.  I got up at 7am (tomorrow at 6, Monday at 5…)

 

I did a little bit of laundry to get everyone back on schedule.

 

The wall that my TV is mounted on has some shelves.  I got the bottom shelf mostly filled today.  I also cleaned off the piano which had become a catch-all for dust and stuff.

 

I took a serving of black-eyed peas to my friend, Karen, and chatted outside for a bit.  The girls wanted to go to Mother Teresa’s thrift store (closed today) and Barnes and Nobel.  We had good luck at B&N.  I wanted a (half price) calendar, Hannah was looking for a specific book, and Leah found a plushie that she “needed”.  

 

I got some reading done, and we had “snack dinner, part 2” with leftovers from New Year’s Eve and last night’s pizza.  Then I read some more.  Trent has had a good evening of lap sitting.  

 

 

 

0 comments: