Saturday, January 9, 2021

Pandemic at School Week 43

Pandemic at School 

 

Week 43

 

Day 293 – Sunday, January 3, 2021

 

Oliver was a good cat for a second night in a row, so I got another good night’s sleep.  My alarm went off at 6am, and while I didn’t exactly get up and around, I didn’t really go back to sleep either.

 

I cleaned the bathroom floors including the baseboards.  I’m a terrible housekeeper, so that’s the first baseboard cleaning I’ve done in this house.  

 

The kids all spent 99% of the day in their rooms.  Leah actually asked where everyone was…. In their rooms, like you.  

 

I took Hannah for a drive in her car to make sure she knew the back roads to school.  Harold (the car) really does fine at < 40 MPH.  He goes to the Honda dealership on Saturday.  I’m hoping for a relatively inexpensive fix because 1) My car won’t be paid off until July when I was planning on giving it to Hannah; and 2) Elijah will need to drive Harold for a couple of years.  

 

I did more laundry and read a bit.  For dinner I made veggie pad Thai which I like, but Leah and Elijah aren’t fans of.  I made plain ramen for them to go with it, and topped Elijah’s with a couple of scrambled eggs (he ate all of it).  I only made half of the recipe since Hannah wasn’t home, and it was plenty.  

 

I had my Wichita/Evansville Zoom book club tonight, and we talked for about 90 minutes.  I didn’t finish the book, 24 Hours in Ancient Athens, but I did read ¼ of it today.  I will likely continue reading a chapter or two a day.  Some chapters are more interesting than others.  Next month’s pick is The Bees by Laline Paull, which sounds interesting.  

 

Tomorrow, we go back to school…. 

 

Day 294 – Monday, January 4, 2021

 

We all survived the first day back from Christmas break.  Oliver was a good cat AGAIN, three nights in a row might be a record.  I woke up about two seconds before my alarm went off and panicked that I’d slept through it.  The kids got up and ready.  I guess Hannah was feeling anxious about driving her car because her boyfriend arrived at 5:45 and drove her to school at 6:30.

 

I stepped on the scale this morning and was not surprised to see that I had gained 5 lbs over the Christmas season.  Thankfully, my pants still fit, but I’m not sure how.

 

Speech therapists had a consult day today, so I had plenty of time to get ready for the rest of the week.  

 

I walked into the staff bathroom in the morning, saw a giant wolf spider on the wall, and went to another bathroom.  Later, I used the first bathroom, but I was wary of having an unseen spider crawl on me.  Finally, after school, I saw that spider again, but she stayed on her side of the stall…

 

There were students who were surprised that masks were still required since it's now 2021... We all wish that were the case.

 

I know a couple of teachers who have gotten vaccinated.  I hope to join that club ASAP!

 

Dinner was an easy affair of tortellini and jarred pesto.  After loading the dishwasher, I read a few chapters of the Athens book.  It’s practically 7pm, and I’m ready for bed.  

 

Day 295 – Tuesday, January 5, 2021

 

Well, Oliver was a good cat once again, and snuggled with me all night.  However, Georgia, was another story.  Twice, she climbed up on the 6 ft bookcase next to my bed and jumped onto my pillow.  TWICE.  Also, Trent barfed at 3am.

 

I saw my Tuesday students today, and that went very well.  I have some pretty great students.

 

Yesterday, UPS emailed me to say that my Every Plate meal kit would arrive by 4:45.  Today, unbeknownst to me, they updated that time to 5:45.  I had just about given up on them, but it arrived at 5:49.  I made the Super Smash Burgers, and they were really good.  They were a mess, but really tasty.  

 

Day 296 – Wednesday, January 6, 2021

 

So, the day started off normally.  Oliver was a brat and got me up several times, so he was banished to the laundry room.  Georgia did one giant leap from the 6-foot bookcase to my pillow.  

 

I learned that the DW staff bathroom wolf spider has switched to the other bathroom.  I thought I was safe across the hall, but I was wrong.

 

I went to see my middle school students, who I’m really starting to enjoy.  Then I had a group lesson back at Daniel Wertz, and saw a pre-k student before lunch.  After lunch, I saw several students for articulation therapy, and then headed off to the high school to do a group lesson with the life skills kiddos.

 

Elijah had a 2:30 telemedicine appointment with his allergist, so I picked him up early and got home around 2pm.  When Elijah got in the car, he said, “Did you see the crazy news?”  I had not.

 

A large group of Trump supporters stormed the Capitol building to stop the counting of the electoral college ballots in an attempt to keep Trump in office.  Congress and all of their staffers were evacuated.  The insurrectionists were rifling through offices, stealing the Speaker of the House official seal, and posing for pictures on the Senate floor. 

 

President Elect Joe Biden made a statement condemning the actions.  

 At this hour, our democracy is under unprecedented assault, unlike anything we’ve seen in modern times, an assault the Citadel of Liberty, the Capitol itself, an assault on the people’s representatives and the Capitol Hill Police sworn to protect them, and the public servants who work at the heart of our Republic. An assault on the Rule of Law, like few times we’ve ever seen it. An assault on the most sacred of American undertakings, the doing of the people’s business.

Let me be very clear. The scenes of chaos at the Capitol do not reflect a true America, do not represent who we are. What we’re seeing are a small number of extremists dedicated to lawlessness. This is not the dissent. It’s disorder. It’s chaos. It borders on sedition, and it must end now. I call this mob to pull back and allow the work of democracy to go forward. You’ve heard me say before in different contexts, the words of a President matter, no matter how good or bad that President is. At their best, the words of a President can inspire. At their worst, they can insight.

Therefore, I call on President Trump to go on national television now, to fulfill his oath and defend the constitution and demand an end to this siege. They storm the Capitol, to smash windows, to occupy offices, the floor of the United States Senate, rummaging through desks on the Capitol, on the House of Representatives, threatening the safety of duly-elected officials. It’s not protest. It’s insurrection. The world’s watching. Like so many other Americans, I am genuinely shocked and saddened that our nation, so long, the beacon of light and hope for democracy has come to such a dark moment. Through war and strife, America’s endured much and we will endure here and we will prevail again, and we’ll prevail now. The work of the moment and the work of the next four years must be the restoration of democracy, of decency, honor, respect the Rule of Law, just plain, simple decency, the renewal of a politics.

It’s about solving problems, looking out for one another, not stoking the flames of hate and chaos. As I said, America is about honor, decency, respect, tolerance. That’s who we are. That’s who we’ve always been. The certification of the Electoral College vote, it’s supposed to be a sacred ritual, which we affirm, it’s purpose is to affirm the majesty of American democracy. But today’s reminder, a painful one, that democracy is fragile and to preserve it, requires people of goodwill, leaders who have the courage to stand up, who are devoted, not to the pursuit of power or their personal interests, pursuits of their own selfish interest at any cost, but at the common good. Think what, our children watching television is thinking. Think what the rest of the world is looking at. For nearly two and a half centuries, we, the people, in search of a more perfect union, have kept our eyes on that common good. America is so much better than what we’ve seen today.

Watching the scenes from the Capitol, I was reminded as I prepared other speeches in the past, I was reminded of the words of Abraham Lincoln in his Annual Message to Congress, whose work has today been interrupted by chaos. Here’s what Lincoln said. He said, “He shall nobly save or merely lose the last best hope on Earth.” He went on to say, The way is plain, peaceful, generous, just. A way, which if followed, the world will forever applaud and God must forever bless.” The way is playing here too. That should we are. It’s the way of democracy, of respect, of decency, of honor and commitment as patriots to this nation. Not withstanding what I saw today, we’re seeing today, I remain optimistic about the incredible opportunities. There’s never been anything we can’t do, when we do it together. This God-awful display today, is bringing it home to every Republican and Democrat and Independent in the nation, that we must step up.

This is the United States of America. There’s never, ever, ever, ever, ever been a thing we’ve tried to do, that we’ve done it together, we’ve not been able to do it. So, President Trump, step up. May God bless America and may God protect our troops and all those folks at the Capitol who are trying to preserve order. Thank you, and I’m sorry to have kept you waiting.”

 

 

Eventually, Trump got in front a camera and said, “This was a fraudulent election, but we can’t play into the hands of these people. We have to have peace. So go home. We love you, you’re very special. We’ve seen what happens, you see the way others are treated that are so bad and so evil. I know you how feel. But go home, and go home in peace.”

 

I am so pissed off.  When the DC Police arrived, the “protestors” were gently herded away from the Capitol.  Eventually, some flash bombs were used, but it was a far cry from the clearing of Lafayette Square this summer.  

 

Congress is due to reconvene tonight and read the electoral votes to officially proclaim Biden as President Elect.  

 

Day 296 – Thursday, January 7, 2021

 

Watched the Season Premiere of 2021, “The Insurrection”

It wasn’t quite what I was expecting. 

The Season Finale of 2020, “We Have a Vaccine” had left me feeling hopeful. 

I’m not sure what the writers were thinking.  (I posted this on FB today, and I think I’m funny.)

 

I was so distracted by the attempted coup yesterday that I forgot to note that both Vanderburgh County and Warrick County moved into the “Red” yesterday for COVID cases.  We had 726 cases per 100,000 residents, and our 7 day positivity rate average was 16.51% (Warrick was slightly worse).  

 

Today Dr. David Smith, EVSC Superintendent, put out a video saying that “school is the safest place for students”. It is true that COVID isn’t really spreading AT school.  Kids are getting it from their parents who are getting it at work or bars/restaurants.

 

School was normal.  

 

WOW!  Trump just gave a (almost) concession speech.

 

From The Washington Post:

In a video message released Thursday evening, more than 24 hours after mobs of his supporters besieged the U.S. Capitol in a shocking insurrection, President Trump denounced and tried to distance himself from the attack in his name.

“America is and must always be a nation of law and order,” Trump said. “The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engaged in the acts of violence and destruction: You do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: You will pay.”

Reading off a script in a flat voice, Trump claimed he immediately deployed the National Guard to help secure the building and expel the intruders. Other officials have disputed that account. Trump also claimed his attempts to overturn the election results were simply his efforts to “ensure the integrity of the vote.”

Nevertheless, the video appeared to be the closest Trump has come to formally conceding to Biden.

“Now, Congress has certified the results,” he said. “A new administration will be inaugurated on January 20th. My focus now turns to ensuring a smooth, orderly and seamless transition of power. This moment calls for healing and reconciliation. 2020 has been a challenging time for our people. A menacing pandemic has upended the lives of our citizens, isolated millions in their homes, damaged our economy and claimed countless lives. Defeating this pandemic and rebuilding the greatest economy on Earth will require all of us working together. It will require a renewed emphasis on the civic values of patriotism, faith, charity, community and family. We must revitalize the sacred bonds of love and loyalty that bind us together as one national family.”

He closed by saying serving as president had been “the honor of my lifetime” — and with a message to his base.

“And all of my wonderful supporters, I know you are disappointed, but I also want you to know that our incredible journey is only just beginning,” Trump said.

 

 

Day 297 – Friday, January 8, 2021

 

Well, it’s Friday.  It was a good day at school.

 

I came home to a package that turned out to be a CalamityWare mug from Sunshine.  I love it!

 

Trump’s Twitter account was permanently banned tonight.  He was banned on pretty much every social media platform.  

 

I took Leah to Target to buy a present for Raylee’s birthday party tomorrow.  

 

Reading accounts of the historical things that were damaged or destroyed in the Capitol building on Wednesday was heartbreaking.  What the hell is wrong with people?  

 

Indiana announced the people 80 and older can get the COVID vaccine now.  

 

Day 298 – Saturday, January 9, 2021

 

This morning, we took Harold, Hannah’s car to the Honda dealership for service.  Since he can’t go faster than 40 mph, we had to take the back roads tour of Evansville to get there.  They will look at him Monday…

 

Leah went to a birthday sleepover tonight with her three BFFs.  It’s the first “real” thing they’ve done since the pandemic started.  I figure they are around each other at school anyway…. Sometimes, a mental health break is important.

 

I told Elijah I would take him out to dinner tonight, but since he picked Lin’s, it was carry-out.  I bribed Hannah and Dylan to pick it up by ordering for them as well.  They ate Lin’s last night (the owners are Dylan’s best friend’s parents), so I wasn’t sure if they’d go for it.  

 

We watched Catch Me if you Can, which apparently, I had not seen.  Elijah loved it, of course.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

0 comments: