Saturday, January 16, 2021

Pandemic at School Week 44

Pandemic at School 

 

Week 44

 

Day 299 – Sunday, January 10, 2021

 

I got up and went grocery shopping at 7am.  Not too much of a crowd, and I finished in an hour.

 

I washed towels and vacuumed.

 

I picked Leah up from Raylee’s house at 1pm.  The girls seemed to have a good time.  Hopefully, none of them had COVID.

 

I had stayed up too late, and I was super sleepy.  I tried to nap for an hour, but wasn’t successful.

 

The big tech companies (Apple, Google, and Amazon) along with most social media platforms have suspended accounts, and disabled Parler, the right-wing social media of choice.  Those are things that should have happened long ago, but I guess an attempted coup was the final straw for them upholding the Terms of Service agreements.

 

Ten days until Inauguration Day, and it can’t come soon enough.  Congress is drawing up Articles of Impeachment and some are asking VP Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment to remove Trump from office.  However, Biden needs the Senate to confirm his Cabinet choices ASAP.  

 

We had leftover Chinese food and pizza for dinner.  

 

Day 300 – Monday, January 11, 2021

 

Wow, 300 days…

 

When I walked into my office this morning, it was quiet… and cold.  The heater was not working, again.  I saw the custodian pass by, and I yelled out the door, “Mr. Mike!  My heater is broken again!”  It wasn’t just me, half of the building was without heat.  Thankfully, someone downtown was able to fix the problem over the computer.

 

Around 10:15, the fire alarm went off.  Our fire drills are almost always at the end of the month (because they have to get done every month), so we knew that it wasn’t a drill.  I did not have any students and I was not in my normal location, so I left the building with the people I was around.  I was by the Wee Care rooms, and the toddlers walked out, mostly sock footed and no jackets (it was cold!).  Then they brought the babies out in their cribs, several of whom were napping.   They didn’t sleep for long though.  Something in the kitchen tripped the fire alarm.

 

After school, and picking up Elijah, Hannah and I went to get Harold from the Honda dealership.  He just needed a $350 fix, so I got him fixed.  Hopefully, we can keep Harold alive long enough for Elijah to drive him for a few years.  

 

I made chicken club quesadilla for dinner and they were pretty amazing.

 

The House of Representatives introduced their impeachment resolution today, charging the President with “incitement of insurrection”.

 

Day 301 – Tuesday, January 12, 2021

 

I must have hit all green lights this morning because I got to school almost five minutes earlier than normal.

 

I don’t think anything crazy or out of the ordinary happened at school today.  I did have to re-work my schedule for next semester because the Reitz Life Skills schedule is changing.  That was pretty frustrating, but I finally figured out a solution.

 

When I got home, I made shepherd’s pie and got it in the oven.

 

After dinner, I helped Leah with some really ridiculous earth science.  Eventually, Elijah had to step in…. I really hate notebooking without a textbook.

 

Day 302 – Wednesday, January 13, 2021

 

My meal kit was supposed to arrive yesterday, but was delayed.  I thought it would arrive today, but no, it’s scheduled for tomorrow.  It looks like it was shipped this morning, so everything should be okay when it arrives.  

 

I yelled at a 5th grader who was trying to intimidate one of my students.  My student moved out of the way and continued walking.  They were concerned that they might have done something wrong, but they were perfect. Because of this incident, I learned a new term (thanks Sami!), “posturing”.  I knew it was intimidation and that it had to have a name… but it wasn’t one that I knew.  

 

At the end of my lesson at Reitz, I got a phone call from Perry Heights…. Leah is a close contact, from the bus on Friday.  However, she is only on the bus for about 7 minutes, and she doesn’t share a seat with anyone.  Also, the students have not been sitting in their assigned seats, so who knows if which kids might have been close enough.  It’s crazy.  So, this is Leah’s 5th day after exposure, and she can go back to school on Tuesday.  It’s not too bad, and she’s fine.

 

When I got home, I had to figure out what to have for dinner because I planned for my EveryPlate box of food to arrive yesterday…. We had Instant Pot layered enchiladas (pressure cooked chicken breasts with salsa and taco seasoning, shredded, and layered with tortilla chips, green enchilada sauce, and cheese).  

 

Tonight, I watched a continuing education (SLP Summit) video that was interesting and fairly entertaining.  I never watch them live… but I have 7 more to watch before the end of the month.

 

People over 70 years old are now eligible for the vaccine.

 

Day 303 – Thursday, January 14, 2021

 

Hannah had a 10am telehealth appointment, so I left work at 9:15 and picked her up (because she wanted me to, though she did check herself out of school since she’s 18).  There were some glitches with Google Meet, so I had to call in on the phone as well as have video on the computer.  A little crazy.  Oliver knocked over the whiteboard just as we were getting started and it was a huge crash.

 

I ate an early lunch with Leah (Hannah ate as soon as we got home because her normal lunch time is 9:15am which is insane.  She skips breakfast most days because of that.), took Hannah back to school, and signed back in at work by 11:15.  

 

I got my new Secret Eagle (like Secret Santa) today, and I’m pretty excited!

 

I checked on the UPS app to see when my EveryPlate box was supposed to arrive.  EveryPlate asked for it to be returned… and I got a refund.  I had already decided to skip next week.  So, I had to figure out what to make for dinner.  While I was home, I put ground beef out to thaw, and decided that I had everything to make spaghetti and meatballs.

 

Elijah had his speech team meeting after school, so I went home to get dinner started before picking him up.  He ate all of the eggs at some point this week, so no meatballs could be made.  I thought about just making spaghetti and meat sauce, but the girls won’t that, so I tricked them into eating the same thing by cooking penne and making a baked “ziti”.  It was devoured…. 

 

I had planned on watching another continuing education video, but Leah needed me to check her math, and Elijah needed me to sit down and go over his enrollment for next year.  By the time the dishes were done, I was ready to be done for the night.  

 

I need to call a roofer because I noticed a water mark on Leah’s ceiling…. ugh

 

Day 304 – Friday, January 15, 2021

 

I saw that my friend, Heather, commented today on a Facebook weather, “What’s a snow burst?”.  I found out during dismissal today.  The weather went from sunny to cloudy to BLIZZARD to snow to nothing in about 20 minutes.  That was a little crazy, and I was inside!

 

When I got home, I called a roofer, who said they could come out on Monday.  

 

I went to order Dominos pizza like normal, and my local store was not taking online orders, the horror!  So, I ordered from Papa John’s.  It cost a little more, but the pizza was still really hot when it arrived, and that just doesn’t happen too often with Dominos.  Also, we ate really early because I was planning on having Dominos deliver at 5:00, but I didn’t see a way to order in advance at Papa John’s so it arrived at 4:40.  I was starving, so we ate.

 

Kindergarten was watching Toy Story 4 this afternoon, so I decided to watch it tonight.  Leah joined me about ¾ of the way through.  It was cute.

 

I’m excited for a three day weekend!!

 

Day 305 – Saturday, January 16, 2021

 

I woke up to an inch of snow on the back deck, a little on the grass, and none on the streets.  It was right at 32 degrees, so I knew it wouldn’t last long.  I decided that the snow would keep people from shopping right at 7am and I got to Walmart closer to 8am.  I was right. 

 

As I was getting out of the car, I was prompted to check to make sure my keys were clipped to my wallet. They were not.  I’ve gotten into the bad habit of locking the car with the button on the door instead of with the button on the key.  So, if I hadn’t checked, I would have locked my keys in the car.  Where were the keys?  They weren’t in the ignition.  They weren’t in my pocket.  They weren’t clipped to my wallet which is what I do with them as soon as I take them out of the ignition…. I got back in the car and saw that they had fallen between the seat and the console.  That little prompting kept me from having a terrible morning!  PRAISE THE LORD!!!

 

After grocery shopping, I highlighted my hair.  Hannah wanted me to dye her hair as well, so we had a home salon kind of day!  My hair takes about an hour from start to finish.  I think it took my two hours to “paint” all of Hannah’s hair….  She still had the waiting and washing after that.  She chose a purplish red or maybe reddish purple, it’s more purple than she expected.  It’s only semi-permanent though.  

 

It was laundry day and I made sausage rice casserole for dinner.  I’ve been tracking my calories and keeping them under 1200 per day, and I’ve lost 2.5 lbs this week.  

0 comments: