Monday, March 15, 2021

Pandemic at School Week 52

Pandemic at School

 

Week 52

 

Day 354 – Sunday, March 7, 2021

 

I got up at 6am so I could go grocery shopping.  I went to Schnuck’s since I had a gift card that needed to be used.  I found the Yakisoba ramen that Leah has been wanting for the past year that Wal-Mart stopped carrying when the pandemic started.  She was pleased.  

 

We went over to the Harpers at 11:00, where they put on a birthday brunch for me.  It was nice to socialize outside and eat bacon for a couple of hours.

 

On the way home, we stopped at BestBuy to see if they had any demo (computer) keyboards that Elijah could try out.  They had a few, but not the kind he wanted.  The sales guy said to just buy one, try it out, and return it if he didn’t like it.  When we got home, Elijah ordered one.  He has programmed a bot in the game he likes to play to collect items that he later sells.  He’s doing pretty well with that, though it still needs a few tweaks.

 

I made an EveryPlate meal, Tuscan Herbed Chicken Linguine.  It was pretty good.  

 

I am absolutely exhausted tonight.  I don’t know if it was the two hours in the chilly sunshine or what, but I’m ready for bed at 6:45pm.

 

Day 355– Monday, March 8, 2021

 

A year ago, we had our last normal week, well half a week.  I had just changed our vacation plans from a train trip to Seattle to a mountain cabin near Pike’s Peak.  I still thought “the novel coronavirus” would stay put on the west coast.  I didn’t even know it was COVID-19, I don’t think.  Our 5-month long spring break was anything but normal; however, this school year truly has brought me a “new normal”.  I know, no one wants to hear that phrase ever again, but it’s true.  Mask wearing and social distancing are definitely the norm.

 

The CDC came out with their guidelines for what is safe for fully vaccinated people.  Fully vaccinated individuals can meet together indoors without masks or social distancing.  Small groups are still recommended.  

 

Being Monday, today’s Vanderburgh County COVID numbers were in the single digits.  I’m sure tomorrow will be a bit higher, but will likely still be in the teens.  Our positivity rate is well below 5% too.  As long as Indiana keeps vaccinating at the same rate, we ought to be okay, even if the variants start spreading.  

 

This week is a consult week at school, but I don’t have much to get done.  Today, I had an ACR where I wasn’t teacher of record, I updated a couple of IEPs, and I started progress monitoring for the 3rd quarter. 

 

Day 356 – Tuesday, March 9, 2021

 

The state of Indiana moved our IEP software to a new server over the weekend, and surprise, it didn’t go well.  It worked part of the day yesterday, and not at all today.  Everything I need to get done this week involves that software.

 

I realized that I’d forgotten to buy the cubed steak for tonight’s chicken fried steak, so I made a trip to Wal-mart during my lunch.  I got the Pandemic-EBT cards to work, so bonus.  On the drive back to school, I had to remind myself that it was only Tuesday… it felt more like a Friday, lol.

 

I’m doing a trial of Noom, a psychology based weight loss program.  It seems okay.

 

I spent the better part of an hour finding a video of Leah as a baby for her to watch.  I found several cute videos.  

 

Day 357 – Wednesday, March 10, 2021

 

I had a good, productive day at work.  I started out at Culver for a speech therapist meeting.  The road construction in that area is OUT OF CONTROL.  I know how to get there from both directions, but I had to navigate from one to the other through a neighborhood because of a closed road right before the parking lot entrance.  Afterward, I got to chat with my friend, Ellen, for a bit, and found out she’s pregnant with baby #3.  

 

After I got to Daniel Wertz, the IEP software was finally working, so the Annual Case Review meetings went well.  

 

At our speech meeting, we got the go ahead to send 5+ year old inactive student files downtown to be archived.  I filled a paper box at Daniel Wertz and sent it over.  I will fill another from the filing cabinet at Reitz.  I had a few old Reitz files at DW, and when I pulled that box out, I found the file for one of the para-professionals in the youngest multi-cat room.  That was weird.

 

I picked up Panera for lunch and took it home.  I really enjoy eating lunch at home, but I normally don’t have enough time to make it worthwhile.  I was able to set some ground beef out to thaw since I had previously forgotten.  I made spaghetti and meatballs for dinner which I hadn’t made in a long time.  

 

On Monday, teachers will FINALLY be able to get vaccinated at any site in Indiana.  It is so ridiculous that they’ve had to wait so long.  Now they can sign up for a two-dose vaccination.  

 

Day 358 – Thursday, March 11, 2021

 

It’s my second Pandemic birthday!  Hannah gave me my present this morning, a K-cup carousel.   I had a really great day at school, and I felt very loved.  My Secret Eagle took my order for a Chick-Fil-A lunch and had it delivered.  They also got me a candle and a Grogu/Baby Yoda mask.  Ms. Butler’s class got me a present (a straw cup and Hershey Kisses) and a card signed by the class.  Mrs. Wolfe’s class sang Happy Birthday to me at the end of the day.

 

Karen made me a chocolate cake and brought it over in the rain.  Then she went to get her first dose of Pfizer at the Deaconess Downtown Clinic!!

 

Pete sent money for the kids and me to eat dinner at La Campirana.  Leah had a steak quesadilla and the rest of us had marinated pork sopas.  Elijah had a horchata as well.

 

There was a horrible rainstorm on the way to the restaurant, but it was better on the way home.  Then we ate cake.  Yum.

 

Lots of my friends are now able to get vaccinated which makes me happy.  I’m hopeful that Hannah will be able to get a vaccine before she heads off to Camp Carson, and that Elijah will be able to get one once he turns 16.  Hopefully, the studies on kids 12+ will start to be published soon.  

 

Day 359 – Friday, March 12, 2021

 

Today, EVSC students had a virtual day while teachers taught from school on a shortened schedule. Surprisingly, attendance was quite good at Daniel Wertz.  Many classes had just one or two students who didn’t join their class live.  They have been practicing all school year, and it appears to have been a great success.

 

Since it was a consult week, I finished up paperwork today, and picked up lunch at McAlister’s for myself, Sarah Carlisle, and her assistants.  We had a good time chatting during and after lunch.

 

Mr. Steele let us leave at 2:45, so I was able to get downtown before Elijah got out of school, so we got home a few minutes early.

 

I had ordered some poles to attach to the deck to hand birdfeeders from, but Lowe’s sent the wrong ones.  They sent some that cost half the price of what I paid for, so they will go back.  Annoying.

 

Hannah will be able to schedule an appointment for vaccination on Monday, but I’m not sure how soon the first available appointment will be.  

 

We humans seem to be getting this virus under control, at least for now.  President Biden has signed the American Recovery Act (yesterday) and in his speech he stated that he wanted all adults 18 and over to be eligible to receive a vaccine by May 1st.  Things are looking up.

 

Day 360 – Saturday, March 13, 2021

 

Elijah got to go on a surprise driving lesson with Mr. Hagerty this morning.  He drove to Mt Vernon and back.  

 

I went grocery shopping and got everything on my list.  I did the laundry as well.

 

I took Leah to the thrift store, where we met Libby.  I got some t-shirts for Elijah to take to camp, and an IU hoodie that he had requested. 

 

Elijah burned a wooden spoon while making mac & cheese and was completely oblivious to the smell.  At least he put it to soak in a pot of water in the sink.

 

I grilled chicken which was our first grilling of the year.  It wasn’t all that warm, but it was dry.  We finished up my birthday cake.

 

Tonight, Hannah, Dylan, and I watched I Am Legend.  I will likely have bad dreams.  Also, pandemic movies are so laughable now.

 

From now on, I will probably only write when there is a COVID-19 development or when my kids receive their vaccinations.

 

 

0 comments: