Saturday, February 20, 2021

Pandemic at School Week 48

Pandemic at School

 

Week 48

 

Day 327 – Sunday, February 7, 2021

 

I woke up to two inches of snow and a temperature of 10 degrees.  It was sunny, so I decided to go grocery shopping at 8am instead of 7am.  The Lloyd Expressway was okay, but the rest of the roads were not great.  By the time I got home, the roads had improved significantly.

 

Leah made Valentine cupcakes that she’s been meaning to make all week.  She did a nice job.

 

While the cupcakes were cooling, the girls and I went to Dollar Tree.  Leah needed a string backpack for school to replace one that broke. 

 

Leah wanted to watch The Puppy Bowl, so we watched cute puppies for a while.  We had Superbowl snacks for dinner.  

 

Day 328 – Monday, February 8, 2021

 

I really wanted to sleep in today, but no luck.  

 

School went according to plan with no craziness that I was aware of.  

 

Snow and ice are predicted for tonight and the temperature should be low enough for it to stick.  The girls and I are definitely hoping for a snow/ice day off or school.

 

I made turkey smash burgers for dinner which were not quite as good as beef, but were still tasty.  I made some queso that I didn’t make for the Super Bowl to go along with tortilla chips.  

 

Day 329 – Tuesday, February 9, 2021

 

Today is my sister’s 52nd birthday.

 

There was not enough snow or ice to close or even delay school today.  However, a few miles north of my house, a bus with students slid off the road this morning.  So, a delay probably would have been a good idea.

 

I sat in on ten IEP meetings today, three of which were for my students.  So, it was a sit around and chat between meetings kind of day at work.  No complaints from me.

 

For dinner I used some food from my last EveryPlate box that did not go in any of the recipes.  We had broiled pork chops, and new potatoes with peas and onions in white sauce.  

 

We have another possibility of winter weather tonight, but I’m hoping it misses us since we have 8am dentist appointments in Newburgh tomorrow.

 

Day 330 – Wednesday, February 10, 2021 

 

We got a snow day!  However, we still had to get up at the regular time because we had to be at the dentist office, 15 miles away, for 8am appointment.  We left at 7 since it was icy out.  The side roads were slick, but the Lloyd Expressway was just wet.  I only drove 40 mph and it took us 40 minutes to get there. 

 

On the way home, my low tire pressure light came, so I stopped at Discount Tire and had them filled up.  Then we stopped at Chick-Fil-A for second breakfast.

 

I spent most of the day watching the impeachment trial on C-SPAN.  

 

We had beef and noodles for dinner, and the girls and I watched The Karate Kid, the original with Ralph Macchio.

 

Day 331 – Thursday, February 11, 2021

 

Though there were several weather alerts for snow last night, it appeared that everything that fell was ice or sleet.  Everything was covered with a thick coating of ice.  

 

I finished a good book, The Beekeeper’s Apprentice, my sixth book of the year.  I should be a little ahead of schedule for reading 36 books this year.  

 

Leah had an orthodontist appointment across town at 3:30.  I was a little worried about the side roads, but my neighborhood was fine and the area around the orthodontist office was as well.  Leah got power chain put on her braces for the first time, and went from one rubber band (which was weird) back to two.  I guess she got evened out.  She goes back in 7 weeks, after spring break.

 

I was sure that we’d have a normal school day, so I warmed up Hannah’s car and got all the ice off of the windshield, wipers, and windows.  Then I got the notification that EVSC was going to cancel tomorrow due to icy side roads and sidewalks.  Okay.

 

Signature School rarely cancels, so I told Elijah I was 95% certain he would still have school tomorrow.  Then we got the text saying they were having a 2-hour delay.  I’m shocked!

 

I made chicken pot pie with crescent roll dough for the crust.  It was mostly made up out of my brain, but it was pretty good.  

 

We have some significant cold predicted for this weekend, and the possibility of a foot of snow next week.  I have my menu planned and my grocery list ready.  I plan to shop after I drop Elijah off tomorrow.  

 

I had another pretty significant nose bleed.  That’s the 3rd of the Pandemic era which is more than I’ve had as an adult…

 

COVID numbers and vaccination numbers are looking good in Vanderburgh County and Indiana.  Yay Hoosiers!

 

Day 332 – Friday, February 12, 2021

 

EVSC cancelled school because some side roads and lots of sidewalks were covered in ice.  Signature School opted for a two-hour delay, so I had to drive Elijah downtown this morning.

 

I slept in until 6am, an hour later than normal, and got ready.  The plan was to leave around 9am since Elijah usually gets to school early so I can get to work.  Elijah wanted me to play chess, but I offered a game of Star Realms instead.  He won.  Half an hour before we were supposed to leave, he decided that we should build a cardboard chessboard for him to take to school.  It took a little extra time to get all the squares colored in, but we were successful.

 

Since we have severe winter weather predicted and no school today, I decided to do my weekly grocery shopping after I dropped off Elijah.  It was just me and the rest of the west side of Evansville!  I was shocked at how packed the store was.  I did get everything on my list.  

 

Leah wanted to go to the big thrift store with Libby, so I promised we could leave at noon.  After I got groceries put away and made some lunch, it was time to go.  Hannah wanted to go too.  The traffic was ridiculous.  We met Libby there, and serendipitously, her friends Raylee and Aubrie were there at the same time.  I found a pair of jeans and an IU shirt for me, and a couple of long-sleeved shirts for Elijah.  Leah found some shirts, and so did Hannah.  

 

We were home about an hour before it was time to pick up Elijah…. It was an extremely busy snow day off work.

 

We ordered Papa John’s Pizza and it was more than 30 minutes late, but it was still hot and tasty.

 

Elijah gave Leah a chess lesson, that went fairly well.  Then, they decided to play Super Smash Brothers.  So sweet!

 

Day 333 – Saturday, February 13, 2021

 

Oliver really didn’t want me sleeping too late, so I got up around 7am.  After breakfast, I got laundry started.  Oliver has been knocking over a pile of papers that needed to be filed away, so I decided to get on that.  Thankfully, most things are digital these days, so my stack of two years’ worth of papers was only six inches tall.  I sorted everything, filed what needed filing, and shredded the rest.  Then I decided to move a few things around to (hopefully) keep Oliver from jumping on my printer.  We’ll see.  I did succeed in making him mad that I’d moved things…

 

After a second cup of coffee, I decided to clean out my bathroom sink drain (disgusting) and then cleaned the sink.  I also did the dishes that I had failed to do last night.

 

The predicted overnight lows are pretty low, so I brought the drinks in from the garage.  Normally, the garage doesn’t get below about 40 degrees, but with temps down into the single digits it could get below freezing in there.  

 

Leah is spending the night at Raylee’s tonight, along with Libby and Aubrie.  I will pick her up around 1pm tomorrow.  My second COVID shot is scheduled for 4:20.  I expect I might feel pretty poorly tomorrow evening and Monday.  We are supposed to get a significant snow storm tomorrow night as well.  

 

 

0 comments: