Sunday, August 16, 2020

Pandemic Back to School Week 22

 Pandemic Back to School

 

Week 22

 

Day 147 – Sunday, August 9, 2020

 

Today was one of those days that every time I looked at the clock it was significantly later than I expected.  

 

I started the day off pretty early, in the 6 o’clock hour.  I heard something clatter to the floor, but the cat known for pushing things to the floor was sleeping next to me.  I never did figure out what I heard.  

 

I slowly fixed breakfast and got ready.  Leah had previously said she wanted to go grocery shopping with me, but apparently not enough to actually get up.  I got to Walmart about 9:20 which is shockingly late for me.  It is nice to see more and more shelves full or mostly full.  The ramen aisle is at about 70% and I saw brands that I haven’t seen since before March 11th.  However, there was no Diet Dr Pepper in the store…. Sacrilege!  Toilet paper = 75% full; paper towels = 25% full.  It’s just interesting to see.

 

I promised Leah an afternoon trip to Schnuck’s to get Grippos and rice milk for Elijah (he likes spicy chips and to make horchata…).  Schnuck’s had Diet DP in bottles, but not lots.  Afterward, I filled up my gas tank (clearly, I did WAY more driving last week than I have since early March), and Leah wanted to go to Dollar Tree.  

 

I played Animal Crossing, and I grilled a pork tenderloin for dinner.  I used the meat thermometer with the probe that plugs into a digital readout that’s outside of the heat, so it was perfectly cooked.  Amazing, lol.  I vacuumed and did dishes… and that’s it.  No idea where the day got away to.  

 

Assuming nothing changes, teachers report on Friday for our first day of work.  School starts for half of the students the following Wednesday.  My girls don’t go back for two more weeks…

 

Day 148 – Monday, August 10, 2020

 

I really didn’t want to get up this morning.  Oliver woke me up a couple of times, so I was in a deep sleep when my alarm went off.  I was very confused. 

 

After I took Elijah to school, I dropped Hannah’s car off for an oil change.  I think her car, Harold, has been driven about 4 times since March…. 

 

Then I took the girls to Target, Five Below, and Party City.  Hannah and I were DONE by the time we got to Party City, but Leah was looking for trinkets to make into earrings and keychains.  The cashier noted that Leah must be making earrings just like all the other TikTok pre/teens.  

 

After lunch, the mechanic called and said Hannah’s car was ready, so we picked it up.  Then I headed to work for a couple of hours.  I got a little organizing done.  Elijah stayed after school for cross country practice, and he wasn’t sure what time he’d be done, so I left in time to get there by 4:00.  Next time, I’ll get there by 4:30.  It was super-hot today, heat index of 110.  He could barely walk.  Pre-COVID, he could run 5k on a treadmill.  He barely left the house for 5 months…. Today was rough!

 

I made chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, gravy, and corn for dinner (I forgot the biscuits).  I think my kids would be very pleased if I cooked like that more often.  My mom made that at least once a week when I was growing up.  It’s just kind of a mess.  It was delicious and there were NO leftovers.  

 

Day 149 – Tuesday, August 11, 2020

 

Elijah was up until midnight doing homework, and then woke up at 2am and turned his 5am alarm off…. I checked on him at 5:02, and he got up and turned on his light.  Turns out, he wasn’t actually awake.  He woke up at 5:20. It’s a good thing that I don’t yet need to be at work at 7:35 because today it wouldn’t have happened.  

 

I got my hair cut at 10am and the girls babysat the Harper “littles” from 11:00-4:00.  The twins bonded with the girls and were sad when they left.  Hannah and especially Leah were happy to have SOMETHING to do.  

 

Earlier in the week, the power button on Hannah’s phone stopped working.  I was able to add an “accessibility” button on the screen to power down the phone, but clearly, it’s a problem. She has an iPhone SE that’s almost 3 years old.  It really seems like it should have lasted longer.  I replaced the battery at Christmas…. If we lived near an Apple Store I’d take a visit.  The “authorized” repair places are not very good.  So, it looks like Hannah will get a new phone for her birthday.

 

While everyone was gone I (finally) put photos on the wall.  I put up all the 1 year and 2-year-old photos.  I realized that I never got any prints of Leah’s 2-year-old photos (they were cute!), so I’m guessing that I got most of these framed before she was two, lol.  

 

Also, my friends Jean & Kip came over to look at my now dead attic fan and replaced the air filter in my HVAC.  The heater is in the attic, and I don’t have a ladder tall enough to access it…. I guess I need to add “have a door and foldable ladder installed to the attic” to my list.  As for the attic fan, it was decided that I don’t “really” need an attic fan… but getting it replaced shouldn’t cost too much.

 

When I picked up Elijah, I was ready with a cold PowerAde and some Advil.  He got so far behind the pack, that he wasn’t sure which direction they turned.  He just headed back to school, and he was ready when I got there.  Sounds like his feet need to heal up a bit, and he needs to get some good fitting running shoes.  

 

It was Taco Tuesday, and we were all starving from our exertions, so we ate a little earlier than normal.  

 

Day 150 – Wednesday, August 12, 2020

 

After taking Elijah to school, I stopped at Wal-Mart to get bread and deodorant for the boy.  I also picked up a pair of shorts for Elijah, a cardigan for myself, and actually found a bit of black cotton fabric for mask making purposes.  

 

I had an appointment with a dermatologist this morning to look at an area on my cheek.  My family doctor didn’t want to touch it since it’s on my face.  The dermatologist, who was very easy on the eyes, said he thought it was probably basal cell carcinoma.  Not life threatening, but if that’s what it is, it will have to be removed.  He took a biopsy, and I’ll know in a couple of weeks.  I was not nervous going in, and fully expected the biopsy.  Next time I will be a heck of a lot more nervous.  The nurse was super nice, and the doctor stated what he was going to do before he did it.  All in all, it was as good an experience as possible when someone is punching a small hole in your face (I have one stitch).  I failed to tell them that I’m a fainter until after the procedure.   The nurse quickly laid the chair back farther and all was well, lol.  I was lightheaded prior to that, but I did not faint.  I was vaguely nauseated all afternoon.  I have a bandage on my cheek that I can replace with a Band-Aid tomorrow.  When I’m wearing a mask, the bandage is hardly noticeable, so that’s a positive.  (I think my cheek is still partially numb from all the lidocaine)

 

After lunch, I took the girls to Walmart for some random items they wanted, so two trips to Walmart in 5 hours…

 

I went to school for a couple of hours.  I managed to ask just the right person about getting a document camera for my computer (for when we end up doing virtual).  I got it set up and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to use.  I made a very short practice video to see if my microphone worked okay.  All went well!  I took my tape measure, and it is possible for me to fit two students and myself 6 feet apart (we would wear masks as well).  That makes my life a little easier.  

 

After dinner, I took Leah to the Wednesday night middle school “hang out” that OneLIfe Church puts on.  They met on the West Library lawn and ended up playing in the rain.  I guess it was officially cancelled, but I had planned to wait in the car anyway.  Leah was busily visiting for 90 minutes or so and got some ice cream out of the deal.  

 

Tomorrow is my last day of 5 month of spring/summer break, lol.   

 

Day 151 – Thursday, August 13, 2020

 

After I took Elijah to school this morning, I went to my office.  Elijah had a paper of physics equations he needed laminated, and I had just taken my little laminator to school.  Then I taped off squares that are 6 feet apart in my office, so two students and myself can attempt to do therapy in masks.  Only language therapy will take place in my room, articulation therapy will take place in the hallway, and the student will wear a face shield while 6 feet away from me.  It’s going to be an interesting year!  

 

I went home and played Animal Crossing until the Switch needed to be recharged (only 45 minutes or so). Leah got up and we set up an Etsy account for her to sell her earrings and keychains.  

 

Since it’s the last day I can pick up Elijah as soon as he gets out of school, I wanted to get there early, so he didn’t have to walk 3 blocks to the YMCA where I normally pick him up.  We had a torrential downpour around the time I wanted to leave, so I waited until it passed.  I was glad to know that if you get there 30 minutes before school gets out, you can park super close.  Too bad I will hardly ever get to use that knowledge. 

 

My bandage was downgraded to a Band-Aid this morning, and a mask completely covers it now.  It’s starting to itch a bit, so I guess it’s healing.  

 

We had a charcoal mini-miracle tonight where the rain held off long enough for me to cook burgers for dinner.  I’ll gladly take it!  

 

Elijah and I both feel like today should be Friday…. However, I go back to work on Friday, and that hasn’t happened yet.  I’ve been getting up and getting ready all week.  I only need to add packing my lunch (and we are getting pizza delivered, but I’ll probably take a salad anyway).  

 

Here’s to starting the 2020-21 school year!! 

 

Day 152 – Friday, August 14, 2020

 

First day back for EVSC teachers!  I generally enjoy teacher workdays.  I like being around my peers without the stress of students.  

 

I got several things printed.  I printed and laminated decorations for my door and chalkboard (Animal Crossing, of course).  I knocked out my first day “to do” list from my boss.  I watched a 3-hour professional development video.  Well, it was on, I mostly listened because I knew I could get a 100% on the quiz at the end because this is the 7th time I’ve gotten this certification.  I sat in on an IEP meeting that was half WebEx, half phone conference.  

 

I wore a mask from 7:20 – 3:20 with a longish (90 min?) break for lunch.  It really didn’t bother me at all, though I probably drank less water because it meant lowering the mask…

 

All in all, it was a very good first day back at work.  We ordered pizza and I mowed the lawn.  I’m pretty wiped out now.   

 

Day 153 – Saturday, August 15, 2020

 

Accidentally woke up at the normal time… I just couldn’t go back to sleep.  I spent some time on the deck after breakfast and before taking Elijah to his volunteering at the Franklin Street Bazaar.  After I dropped him off, I went grocery shopping.  After 5 months of NOT shopping on Saturday morning, I’m back to being relegated to shopping with the masses…. I need a shirt that says, “If your nose isn’t covered, you aren’t actually wearing a mask”, or maybe, “If I can see your nose, I’m calling you a ‘rat licker’ in my head”.  Sorry, not sorry.  It drives me nuts.

 

Saturday is always laundry day, so that happened.  After I picked up Elijah, I took Leah to Michael’s because… crafts are her lifeblood. 

 

Hannah and I watched a couple of episodes of Task Master, which is hilarious.  Everyone should watch it (it’s on YouTube).

 

I grilled chicken for dinner.  I did NOT do the edging/weed eating that needs to be done in the back yard… Eventually, it will happen.  

 

It was a nice, relaxing Saturday.  No complaints.

0 comments: