Sunday, July 26, 2020

Pandemic Summer Week 19

Pandemic Summer

Week 19

Day 126 – Sunday, July 19, 2020

I had a productive morning of laundry, vacuuming, and cleaning toilets.  So. Much. Fun.

Hannah went on a lake trip today with her boyfriend and his friend’s family.  She wasn’t sure which lake, but there was a boat.  I might get more information when she gets home.  It’s super hot and humid today, so a good day for the lake.  I told her to drink plenty of water and wear some sunscreen.

Leah was supposed to get her braces put on tomorrow morning, but I got a text from the orthodontist cancelling it.  They are closing the office again due to CDC recommendations for our county which has exponential growth of COVID.  Leah and Elijah have eye doctor appointments on Friday.  I wonder if they will be cancelled. Next week we have annual wellness visits with our family doctor and 6-month dental check-ups scheduled.  

I read an article today that said a South Korean study shows that kids 10+ spread coronavirus just as much as adults.  Another article I read last night stated that 85 infants in one Texas county tested positive.  How do we do school safely?

I’m grilling chicken tonight and corn on the cob tonight.  At 7pm, I’m going to mow the back and side yard.  

Day 127 – Monday, July 20, 2020

I ran out of gas mowing the lawn last night, but only the side yard is left.  I forgot to put the gas can in the car when I was out, so I still don’t have gas for the mower.  It rained and thunder stormed a bit, so all that were good reasons not to finish up tonight.  Also, I’m super tired because Hannah didn’t get home until late from her lake trip turned eat dinner at the house of a family who owns a Chinese restaurant…. Leah kept looking at the Life360 app to check on Hannah’s location and wouldn’t go to bed until she got home.  

I got up and went grocery shopping.  I did not get up and do aerobics as I had planned…. Walmart shoppers and employees were mostly good with masks.  I only saw one person blatantly not wearing a mask, but it did see several noses…. It’s better than nothing I suppose.

The orthodontist sent an email saying the office had been exposed to COVID, so they were closed for cleaning and testing.  The text they sent on Sunday was very vague.  They called and rescheduled Leah’s braces for tomorrow afternoon.  She’s glad to get it over with.

Elijah and Leah both needed new sneakers, so we went to Shoe Carnival and got two pairs of Nikes.  A nice lady handed me a $10 off coupon, so that was nice too.  

I took a trip to Daniel Wertz to drop off some items (like I tried to do on Friday).  The main hallway was freshly waxed, so I was unable to get to my office.  Every other classroom in the building was accessible, but not mine.  When I got home, one of our janitors sent me a message saying I could get in my room on Wednesday.  Clearly, he saw me walk all the way around the building (for a second time) looking for a way to my room, but I did not see him.

Leah spent the day checking the mail for her two Amazon packages that were due to arrive today, but they did not.  This pandemic has put a damper on Prime shipping.  We are so spoiled!

Day 128 – Tuesday, July 21, 2020

The day started off slowly.  The kids had a difficult time getting up at 9am.  Not much happened until 10:45 when I started making Leah her “last lunch” before braces.  She had grilled cheese and tomato soup (a meal she can have again in a few days for sure).  

The bug guy came at 11:45 to spray inside and out.  I didn’t give Leah and Elijah enough notice (multiple days) to get their rooms cleaned enough for spraying.  

A little before 1pm, Leah and I headed out the door to go to the orthodontist.  Once we got there, I called, talked to Rachel, the hygienist taking care of Leah.  Settled the bill (ouch), and actually got to walk inside the building to sign a few papers. 

Thankfully, I found the only patch of shade in the lot, where I sat in my air-conditioned car (it was 91 in the shade) and read for two hours.  Once Leah was finally done, she was super chatty.  She had no idea that it had taken so long, she thought it was maybe an hour.  On the way home, we stopped at Wendy’s (on the east side, since the one closest to our house closed) for her promised Frosty.  

When we got home lots of packages had arrived (finally), so Leah was happy.  

I attempted to grill burgers, but it must have sprinkled after I lit the charcoal because the coals did not progress.  So, I broiled them.  From 5-6:45 (Oliver watched the whole thing) I watched the EVSC school reopening plan podcast on FB Live.  I did learn a few things.  I read the plan this morning when it was sent to employees.  It was interesting to see a visual for how many active cases in the county would get the buildings shut back down.  We have to opt-in for busses.  Lunches will have fewer options and a reduced menu (kids will be handed a tray with everything, no/fewer choices).  We got to see some photos of what socially distances classrooms look like.  I probably need to re-watch the second half since I was making and eating dinner.  Dr Smith made it sound like teachers know all about the synchronous remote learning for kids quarantined… but I don’t know any teachers who do.  I have a 27-minute school safety PD video to watch.

Now that the district has it’s plan made public, the individual schools have to have theirs out by Friday.  I feel for the principals…. They haven’t had much guidance.  The trickle down to teachers has been minimal as well. Therapists? Well, we know nothing.  It’s a fun time all around.  But I’m not going to stress over it.  I will take it one day at a time, and do my best given what is available.  

Day 129 – Wednesday, July 22, 2020

I ran to Walmart at 7am to get some new-braces-friendly snacks for Leah.  I thought I was buying Cheetos puffcorn, but I got Cheetos popcorn which I didn’t even know existed.  I’ll try again.  The Gerber Puffs, or goo goo puffs as we affectionately call them, and they are a big hit.  

Later in the morning, I ran to school to (finally) drop off some stuff.  I saw one of my favorite 1st grade teacher’s car in the lot, so I went to find her in her classroom.  She was attempting to find spots for all of the students’ desks six feet apart.  Thankfully, she has a small class, but it’s also a small classroom.  Previously, we had discussed me attempting to do “push in” speech/language therapy in her classroom where I would lead a small group.  No small groups this year.  Honestly, my job is not possible without small groups.

I came home for lunch and heated up some Stouffer’s frozen mac & cheese for Leah’s lunch.  She thought it was okay, but not as good as KFC…. 

Leah conned Libby’s mom into bringing Libby over to see the ducklings in our neighborhood pond and somehow got a DQ Blizzard too. 

We had chicken club quesadillas for dinner and Leah was able to eat one that was cut into one-inch squares, so she was happy.  She’s been happily chomping goo goo puffs all day, so she’s much happier than last night. She’s been a champ about brushing with her new Oral B electric toothbrush with Bluetooth (it tells you how well you brushed among other things) and flossing.  

Day 130 – Thursday, July 23, 2020

This morning I went to school for a few hours to organize a cabinet, so I have more room for cleaning supplies and talk to a few teachers.  My principal checked to make sure it was possible for me to be 6 feet away from a student in my tiny office by measuring it with his bow staff, which was awesome.  It is possible, so that’s something.  I found out that a couple of my special education students will be using Virtual Academy this year.  I will miss them, but it will lighten my load a bit (a tiny bit).  

Leah was able to each a grilled cheese cut into tiny squares.  I gave her toothpicks and she dipped them in tomato soup.  The eating thing is getting better for her.

After lunch, I made a quick run to Walmart for puff corn.  Guess what?  There was NONE to be found, of any brand.  Is the creation of puff corn somehow negatively affected by Pandemic?  Is that why Cheetos sells popcorn?  We need answers, lol.  I ended up getting a giant container of cheese balls since they are almost exactly the same thing (Leah disagrees, but she loves cheese balls too).

Then I did nothing but sit around and read for the rest of the afternoon and made spaghetti and meatballs for dinner (which Leah also ate).  

Day 131 – Friday, July 24, 2020

Today was an exercise in extreme patience, lol.  Elijah was driving me crazy this morning, nothing specific, but also everything.  I’m at the point when I want to start getting ready for the school year, but I’m not sure what needs to be done.  I did get some emails with professional development that needs to get done ASAP.  I probably should have gone to school for an hour or two this morning, but I didn’t.

Leah and Elijah had eye doctor appointments at 2:00 and 2:30 across town.  The eye doctor wants you there 30 minutes early to get paperwork filled out, get you through the pre-exam stuff, so the doctor can see you at your appointment time.  We left at 1:00, got there a few minutes before 1:30, waited for a bit, then started all the pre-exam stuff with Sean, who is way too smart to be a tech (he’s going to school to be an optometrist).  Sean talks way too fast and remembers everyone.  He’s my favorite!  After the exam, the kids go to the contact lens room and start trying to put contacts into their eyes.  For full disclosure, I went through this process when I was 24, and It took me 90 minutes to get that first lens in.  I would say that Leah got her first one in at about the 90-minute mark, and Elijah closer to the 2-hour mark.  We left at 5pm, and neither are rock stars yet.  I will probably have to take Elijah’s out tonight.  

On the way home, we did not hit one red light on the Lloyd and made it from the mall to our house (a mile north of USI) in 15 minutes.  It was amazing, lol.  We were all starving because Leah ate 4 chicken nuggets at 10am, and Elijah ate a couple of waffles in the morning and a protein bar in the car at 1pm…. I ordered pizza, and when it arrived, we devoured it!

Hannah bought a fish hat for the cats and made Oliver and Georgia model it, lol.  Georgia didn’t seem to mind, and we gave Oliver treats afterward.  What a day!

Day 132 – Saturday, July 25, 2020

Last night, my friend, Julie brought puffcorn to my house for Leah.  So nice!!  It was also nice to chat with her for a few minutes.

This morning, Elijah was able to put his contacts in with zero coaching or help in about 10 minutes!  I was shocked and amazed!!  He spent the morning volunteering at the Franklin Street Bazaar.  (Leah was unable to get her contacts in, and I couldn’t get them in either.  Too much squinting.)

After I brought Elijah home, the rest of us went to a birthday party for our favorite almost-5-year-old, Jacinda.  She had a dinosaur/Harry Potter theme pool party.  The girls were happy to get out and socialize with friends (J’s big sisters).  On the way home it poured raine from Epworth to Stockwell (about 2 miles apart), then it was sunny the rest of the way.

We had an easy dinner of pulled BBQ chicken sandwiches.  Then I mowed the lawn even though I kind of hoped that it would rain. 

0 comments: