Sunday, June 14, 2020

Pandemic Summer Week 13

Pandemic Summer

Week 13

Day 84 – Sunday, June 7, 2020

Yesterday was a very exciting day filled with mostly laundry.  After the regular laundry was done, I did four more loads of clothes to donate to Goodwill.  They have been sitting in bags in the garage for… way too long.  Leah had gotten into them a few times, looking for who knows what, and they were all left open.  They all had leaves and dirt that had blown in over the past *ahem* year or so.  Now they are clean, folded, re-bagged into clean bags, and in my trunk.  I will have to drop them off now because there is no more room in my trunk!  

I worked on getting my bedroom organized and I feel like I made some decent progress.  It would now be possible to sit in my glider and watch TV if I wanted to.  There is still plenty to be done, but progress is progress.

It was super hot yesterday, definitely hotter than it’s been since last summer.  It was in the 90’s and humid, not my favorite.  I grilled burgers for dinner, but we just had chips because it was too hot to even air fry tater tots.  

At 7pm, the entire lawn was in the shade, so I mowed.  It was hot, but 40 minutes later it was done, and I’d gotten a workout as well as a short lawn.  Definitely winning, lol.

This morning, I went to church with my friend, Heather at The Turning Pointe.  It was their first in-person services since Pandemic.  It reminded me of a cross between the church I attended in high school and the one I attended in college.  The music was good, the sermon was good, being in a building with people was also good.  

After church, my friend Karen came over, and we sat in our screened-in “annex” and chatted for a couple of hours.  

I will be grilling chicken and corn on the cob for dinner, and apparently book club via Zoom got moved to tonight.  A busy Sunday for Pandemic Summer!

Day 85 – Monday, June 8, 2020

This morning, I got up early (even though I didn’t want to) and did a 45 min Sh’bam dance workout.  I ate breakfast on the deck because it was SO NICE outside.  A nice reprieve from the heat and humidity of the weekend.  After breakfast, I went to Wal-mart for groceries.  This week they were out of the lunch meat I buy (Great Value thin sliced ham in the 1 lb box) and Powerade Zero.  I believe this was the first week that there were multiple name brands of toilet paper available.  Usually, they have one name brand, and some generic.  I didn’t even look at ground beef…. There were plenty of pork tenderloins.  Strangely, there was no fresh corn on the cob, which is just unheard of in Indiana in the summer.  I’m sure there will be some later in the week.

Our principal hosted an informal WebEx chat this morning, just to keep connected with each other.  There were only a handful of participants, and I had hoped to see more faces.  No new information was to be had.  No one knows what the beginning of school will look like yet.  

Leah has plans to spend the night with her friend, Libby, which she is super excited about.

Today is the first day of priority sign up for Camp Carson for next summer.  I just need Elijah and his friends to decide which program they want to do.  

Because Walmart didn’t have lunchmeat, I also went to Aldi.  On the way, I actually dropped off the 4 bags of stuff at Goodwill!  One less thing!

Somehow, it’s already afternoon…. 

We made plans to visit my parents in OKC the first week in July, so we will celebrate the 4th there.  My mom said they got the pool opened up, so that’s good.  I think that’s the only thing we are going to be able to do this summer.  

Day 86 – Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Yesterday, I put up the canvases I had my kids paint when they were little.  Their “baby art” so to speak.  My room is finally coming along, slowly but surely.

Leah spent the night with Libby, so I took the other two out for Mexican food… in a restaurant!  I had to send my friend, Melanie, a text to find out what places had their dining rooms open.  I’d seen signs for several chains, but not too many locally owned.  El Charro is open, so we went there.  They always provide an amazing meal for west side teachers during Teacher Appreciation Week (which we missed this year), so I was happy to support them.  I’d never eaten there, but it was great!  We had chimichangas (yum!).  Hannah had chicken, I had shredded beef, and Elijah had the SuperChanga which was nearly double the size with all the meat choices inside.  We all left stuffed.  

The remnants of tropical storm, Cristobal, will hit us today, though most of it looks like it will go north of us.  I walked outside to see if breakfast on the deck was an option.  Nope, 85 degrees with 80% humidity was not what I was looking for!  

Nothing is really on the agenda today.  I’m sure I’ll read, play some Animal Crossing, maybe do a little sewing.

Day 87 – Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Yesterday was a very uneventful day, which is fine by me.  I’m all for having more uneventful days!  I did finish up some mask ties and therefore 5 more masks are complete.  I found some elastic in my sewing stuff, so I made one with one long elastic band (around your neck, through the mask on both sides, on the back of your head) just to see how that works.  I wore that one this morning at the store, and it worked pretty well.

Last night was “Leah’s choice” for dinner, so we had air fried chicken tenders, Kraft mac & cheese, and Sister Schubert’s rolls (she likes yeast rolls, not biscuits).  I found copycat Chick-fil-a sauce at Walmart.  Supposedly, there is official CFA sauce available at Walmart, but I didn’t find it.  It was delicious, if not very healthy.  Leah brought home cinnamon Jolly Ranchers from her sleepover, and my kids were unaware that cinnamon JRs were a thing.  

I bought some Kindle books to read in the next month, So You Want to Talk About, White Fragility:  Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism, and How to be an AntiRacist.  The physical copies of these books are sold out, and with my presbyopic eyes I prefer ebooks anyway.  

This morning, I went to Schnucks, Evansville’s mecca of drinks.  I got Sprite, & Sprite Zero to make cherry limeades, and Powerade Zero (which tastes a million times better than regular Powerade).  On the way home, I stopped at the library for curbside pickup.  I reserved a book at some time during the Pandemic, and it was finally available.  Too bad, I read the ebook last week.  I didn’t even remember reserving the physical book.  I always feel bad about not picking it up (and they used to fine you for not doing so), so it will sit in my car for a day or two before I return it.  At least I know how library curbside pickup works now, lol.

Hopefully, today will be another uneventful day!!

Day 88 – Thursday, June 11, 2020

Yesterday was also nice and uneventful.  Elijah slept until 2:45pm, lol.  When he mentioned that it felt like 8:30am, I told him that I’d been up for nearly 8 hours.  That boy needs something to DO.  His birthday is on Sunday, but the places that used to hire 15 year olds now only want 16 and older.  I’d hoped to get him working this summer.

We made cherry limeades with Sprite, lime juice, and cherry Koolaid.  Delicious!.  For dinner I grilled a pre-marinated pork tenderloin and some zucchini in a foil pack.  The pork was fantastic, and the boys (Elijah and Dylan, Hannah’s boyfriend) made sure there was none left.  I overcooked the zucchini… last time it was undercooked.  I guess 20 minutes is about what it needs.  

Leah went to youth group at One Life with Libby.  They had a water balloon fight in the parking lot.  The weather was perfect!  It was sunny, but not too hot, and breezy.  

I finished book #2 in The Dragon Riders of Pern series, now I’m going to alternate with some more serious reading about racial issues.  

Hannah’s dishes and silverware arrived over the past few days.  I’m going to get her an InstantPot for her birthday in October.  I want to do her Senior pictures in October as well, and maybe I’ll get family pictures done at the same time.  We haven’t had those done in several years.  It’s hard to believe that she’ll be 18…. She got signed up for the SAT in August.  She was supposed to take it in March… but well, Pandemic.  Looks like we can fill out the FAFSA starting October 1st.  Sounds like a blast…. We were supposed to do tours at Indiana University, Butler University, and Indiana State University in the spring, but that didn’t happen.  Like everything else, I suppose.  She’s really interested in behavioral economics, so she will likely double major in econ and either psychology or organizational behavior.  

Here’s to another uneventful day!

Day 89 – Friday, June 12, 2020

With the exception of my 45 minutes of Sh’bam aerobics yesterday, I pretty much sat in my recliner and read or played Animal Crossing.  It’s quite a life!  The weather was absolutely perfect yesterday, so I did spend a few minutes in the evening sitting on the deck.

I finally finished up the 15 masks I made for my family.  Today, I’ll try to get two cut out for a friend.  Who knows, maybe I’ll even get some sewing done on them.  

This morning, I went to Walmart to get corn on the cob since they had none on Monday.  They had none today.  That seems pretty unusual for Indiana in June.  Hopefully some will arrive by Sunday when it’s on the menu.  Leah had requested Sour Straws, but Walmart also had none of those, so I did get her some Big Sour Patch Kids.  

I dropped my library book in the book drop, and then remembered that way back in March, right before the libraries shut down, I had checked out several graphic novels for Leah.  I could not remember if I’d returned them, but it seemed unlikely since the libraries had locked their book returns when they closed.  When I got home, I checked out my account and sure enough, there are seven Stephen Universe books checked out.  Leah had them stacked neatly in her room, and surprisingly they aren’t even due until Monday.  We will have had them for three months!

I’m looking forward to another uneventful day full of reading and generally goofing off.  My one adulting task I still need to do this week (well, really it just needs to be done by the end of the month) is to get my car in for an oil change and new brakes.  I’m sure Hannah’s car needs to be taken in for an oil change as well.  

Tonight, is pizza night, and because Domino’s was 15 minutes late delivering last week’s pizzas, they are giving us a free one.  No complaints there! 
Day 90 – Saturday, June 13, 2020

Wow, 90 days…. What can I say?  Today was my “sleep in” day, and I didn’t get up until nearly 7am.  Good thing because I had a hard time going to sleep last night. 

Last night, I decided to figure out what date I’d had my weird rash on my leg.  I knew it was January or February, but I couldn’t remember much more.  I had taken a photo of the rash, but I deleted it.  However, I had texted my friend the picture, so I decided to scroll back until I found it.  February 17th was when I texted about the rash.  That was the Monday after I was sick for a week, being up all night with a fever on (Friday) Valentine’s Day.  I never considered it being a viral rash… I treated it like a fungal rash.  

A friend posted about getting an antibody test, so I made an appointment for Tuesday morning.  I know there are a lot of teachers who want to know if what ran through the schools in February was not just bronchitis, sinus infections, and stomach bugs.

Today is laundry day and mow the lawn day.  After lunch, I’m taking Elijah to his friend’s house to spend the night, and when I pick him up tomorrow, he’ll be 15 years old!!  

So, we are wrapping up Week 13 of Pandemic.  Indiana is moving to Phase 4 of re-opening, be it right or wrong.  



0 comments: